DEng, CEng, PrEng, PrCM, PrCPM, FSAICE, FIStructE, FICE, FSAA
He has been at the forefront of many development initiatives in South Africa since the early 1990s including the reinterpretation of building regulations, the classification of sites in terms of geotechnical characteristics and building practice, changing construction methods, technologies and practices to facilitate socio-economic development imperatives and the development of construction procurement procedures and practices. His work on procurement has formed the basis for not only South African standards for construction procurement but also the recently published ISO 10845 family of standards. He has in recent years piloted the implementation of target contracts and framework agreements for the delivery of civil engineering and building projects within the public sector. He has also led the development of documented procurement and delivery management system for a number of South African public sector bodies. He served as the South African Institution of Civil Engineering’s 101st President in 2004. In 2009 he obtained a senior doctorate (Doctor of Engineering) from the University of the Witwatersrand for his engineering development work which has significantly contributed to the delivery of infrastructure for the advancement of a changing South African society. In 2010 he was awarded the Institution of Civil Engineer’s International medal for his contribution over time in the delivery of enabling engineering mechanisms for the UN Millennium Development Goals. He has published more than 70 papers and articles on various aspects on the delivery of infrastructure .
Brief career history
- Chairperson, Technical Committee for Standards that address National Building Regulations e South African Bureau of Standards (TC60) and the Technical Committee for Buildings and Civil engineering works (TC1098)(2013 /14-date)
- Director, Infrastructure Options (Pty) Ltd (2012 - date)
- Convenor of the International Standardisation Organisation’s Technical Committee TC 59 (Building and Construction) Working Group 2 for Construction Procurement (ISO 10845) (2007 to 2014)
- Member of the International Standardisation Organisation’s Advisory Group established by Technical Committee TC 59 (Building and Construction) (2006 - date) Trustee of Engineers Against Poverty (UK registered charity) (2005 to date)
- President of the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (2004)
- Associate of the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) (2002 to 2010)
- Vice President, Institution of Structural Engineers (London) (2001-2002)
- Chairman of the Technical Committee for Construction Standards of the South African Bureau of Standards (TC 5120.61/ TC59) (2001-2009)
- Member of the Board of Agrément South Africa 1999-2003 Member of the secretariat of the Interministerial Task Team for Construction Industry Development (responsible for procurement) (1999-2000)
- Procurement Task Team Member, Ministries of Finance and Public Works (1995-1997)
- Director, Soderlund and Schutte, Johannesburg (1990 to 2013)
- Senior Engineer, Soderlund and Schutte, Johannesburg (1988 – 1989)
- District Engineer (Structures), Structural Design Office, SA Transport Services (1984 –1988)
- Site Engineer, Central Yard Construction, S A Transport Services, Bapsfontein (1980 – 1984)
- Best technical paper published in the Civil Engineer in South Africa during 1992.
- Best technical paper published in the Journal of the South African Institution of Civil Engineering during 1995.
- CSIR outstanding achiever award 1999 (Construction Technologies Team).
- SAICE President's award for meritorious service to SAICE and for significant ongoing contributions to the civil engineering profession (1999).
- South African Bureau of Standard’s 2005 Standards Development Award for exceptional contribution to standardisation through participation in technical committee work. (2005)
- Institution of Structural Engineer’s Lewis Kent Award (premier service award) for his role in furthering the international perspective of the Institution, in particular focusing attention on appropriate technologies in developing countries (2009)
- Institution of Civil Engineer’s International Medal awarded in recognition of his significant contribution for the last 20 years in the delivery of enabling engineering mechanisms for the UN Millennium Development Goals in South Africa, sub-Saharan Africa and internationally (2010)
- Certificate of appreciation from the International Organisation for Standardisation for his considerable contribution to the ISO activities and in particular to his dedication to the work of TC 59 (2011).
BScEng (1978), DEng (2009) (Witwatersrand)
Professional Engineer (1982)
Chartered Engineer (1994)
Professional Construction Manager (2004)
Professional Construction Project Manager (2004)
Fellow of the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (1999)
Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers (1999)
Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (2004)
Fellow of the South African Academy of Engineering (2014)
cell: +27 (0)82 460 5963